An InstaMeet can happen anywhere and be any size, but obviously it’s better to pick a space with potential for some cool photos.
Here are a few options in Johannesburg…
- 1Fox Precinct: Originally this area was one of the first mining camps during Joburg’s goldrush in the 1880s. Today, it’s a vibey cultural hub under the M1 highway. It’s also a great spot for photographing food, drinks, people and art. Housing Fox Junction Event Venue, Good Luck Bar, Mad Giant Brewery, Urbanologi, Ginologist, Little Fox Cocktail Bar and Just Teddy Bakery, among other fun places to hangout and meet up. Check out the precinct’s own Insta account: @1foxprecinct
- Victoria Yards: First Sundays of the month at Victoria Yards provide epic photo fodder. This is a great spot for a meet – you can grab some fish and chips or a cold craft beer and then enjoy access to artisan studios, vegetable gardens, visual arts and quirky architectural features. Check out the website for more info and opening hours.
- Cyrildene: Get a taste of a different culture right here in Joburg in Derrick Avenue in Cyrildene, where everything from the newspapers to the street posters are Chinese. There are cool photos to be found, from the unusual fresh veggies on display to the Chinese New Year festivities that take place in February every year, which include lion dancing and feasting in the streets. Check out the hashtag #cyrildene for some inspo!
- Braamfontein: Braam is the place to be, with endless Instagrammable options. Check out the design at 99 Juta or come together for Sunday Edition, which offer everything from music to art, food, fashion and vinyl. View the Facebook page for upcoming events.
- Melrose Arch: For a lux-themed meet-up, Melrose Arch has it all, from the supercars on display at Daytona to the delectable patisserie at Paul. Nurse a tumbler of whisky together at Churchill’s or get your feet wet at the pool bar at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel. Follow @melrosearch for the latest events and news.
The point of an Insta-Meet is simply to help Instagrammers to meet one another. Pick a photogenic spot that’s easily accessible, share your InstaMeet plans with your friends on Instagram. Select a unique hashtag for your event to help spread the word, and so that people can find and share the photos on the day. If you need inspiration, check out past InstaMeets on the Instagram Blog.
And, obviously, remember to take your A-game and a worthy device with you on the day, advises Sulette Jacobs, Mobile Marketing Manager, LG Electronics South Africa. “For example, the LG V40 ThinkQ™ has five cameras and is the ultimate Instagram tool. The standard front camera is perfect for selfies, while the 90° wide-angle lens makes it possible to shoot group photos. The three rear cameras also let you snap three images with just one click – standard, telephoto zoom, and super wide-angle. Whatever your subject matter, this is the ultimate phone to have at your next InstaMeet.”