FNB Whisky Live Festival challenges celebrities to get their swagger on!
Now celebrating its 10th year, the world’s largest and liveliest festival of its kind makes its way to the shores of Durban for the first time and runs from 1 – 2 November 2012 at the International Convention Centre Durban this week.
Local Durban celebrities including Gagasi FM DJ’s Jacinta Ngobese and Kini Shandu were issued with the following challenge: Do you have enough “Glam-Swagger” to don a kilt? The DJ’s accepted the challenge and were treated to an exclusive tasting session by Jack Daniels brand ambassador Amit Moorley at local hotspot Spiga d’Oro on Florida Road. The DJ’s, clad in kilted splendor, were invited to experience the distinctly-flavoured Gentleman Jack.
Three Natal surfers also accepted the challenge and braved the waves in nothing but a kilt! The surfers, Daniel and Josh Redman, along with Brandon Jackson managed to surf in kilts at Ushaka Marine World’s beachfront today.
The challenge began in Johannesburg with Rally Champion Gugu Zulu and Rapper Lebogang “Shugasmakz” Mothibe from Skwatta Kamp accepting the call from the FNB Whisky Live team to brave it by wearing kilts and showing their Swagger in honour of the festival’s 10th year.
The FNB Whisky Live Festival is designed to appeal to the newcomer, the novice and long-time connoisseur and the organisers promise that the festival will offer something to everyone. Says Karen Chaloner, co-founder of the festival: “Long gone are the days of whisky being the preserve of a select few. Today, whisky, that gorgeous golden dram known as ‘the water of life’, is one of the fastest growing spirit categories in South Africa.”
To make sure you don’t miss out, secure your ticket early to what promises to be a fantastic show (book online via www.webtickets.co.za or purchase at the door).
Tickets cost R185 per person – great value when you consider it includes entry into the Tasting Hall, 12 whisky tasting vouchers, a voucher for a 500ml Valpré, a food voucher for R10, a whisky tasting glass and a copy of the SA Whisky Handbook 2013.
Another element that elevates the FNB Whisky Live Festival above a standard ‘expo-type’ event is the workshops hosted by whisky experts and master distillers. These interactive one-hour tutorials give visitors the opportunity to expand their experience at the show beyond the Tasting Hall, providing newcomers and connoisseurs alike with the opportunity to learn to appreciate whisky from the experts and distillers themselves. The whiskies at the workshops have been carefully hand-selected by the master distillers and blenders especially for the workshops. Tickets to these workshops are R100 per person and need to be pre-booked.
“To really appreciate the Festival, we encourage all whisky enthusiasts to attend at least one workshop,” says Sian Neubert, co-founder of the festival. “There is also a combo ticket option, which includes entry to the main tasting Hall, plus a whisky workshop, allowing visitors to take full advantage of all that is on offer.”
To whet your appetite and tantalise your senses, here is a little of what you can expect at the festival:
· International master distiller, Ian Macmillan for Bunnahabhain & Black Bottle, will be hosting tasting sessions at the Bunnahabhain & Black Bottle Tasting Room, where you could win a magnificent set of Bunnahabhain whiskies.
· Taste the recently-launched Johnnie Walker Platinum Label at the Johnnie Walker “House of Walker” experience.
· A very limited, exceedingly lucky, number of visitors – perhaps 370 at most – will have the opportunity to fill their own, unique, 2012 Whisky Live Festival Special Bottling of very rare 19 year old GlenDronach single cask at the GlenDronach stand.
· Master Distiller Dennis Malcolm of Glen Grant will host a series of workshops, taking you through an interactive, informal process to better understand the significance of copper stills in the whisky distillation process at the Glen Grant Distillation Zone.
· The Pick ‘n Pay Canapé & Whisky Pairing Zone will be co-hosted by international food whisky guru Martine Nouet, showcasing the art of pairing the sublime flavours of whisky with delectable canapés.
· Relax with a whisky cocktail at Thirst’s Speakeasy bar, themed around 1920s nostalgia.
· Meet master distiller, Andy Watts, and taste our very own South African award-winning Three Ships 5-year old at the Three Ships and Bains Cape Mountain Whisky stand.
· Taste the complex flavours of Glenmorangie’s malt Scotch whisky, distilled in the tallest malt whisky stills, in the north of Scotland and expertly matured in the finest oak casks. Glenmorangie’s Karen Fullerton will be on hand to talk you through the journey.
The Whisky Live Festival has also partnered with Tsogo Sun and Hertz to make sure your night at the festival is one to remember. Various accommodation and transport packages are available – visit www.whiskylivefestival.co.za – which will enable you to arrive in style, enjoy the event and travel home safely… Or better yet, stay at one of Durban’s Tsogo Sun hotels to end your evening in style.
To find out more about the festival as well as the various whisky workshops, visit the festival website – www.whiskylivefestival.co.za. Tickets are available through Webtickets, so make sure you book yours today. You don’t want to miss out on the inaugural Durban Whisky Live Festival.
The FNB Whisky Live Festival promotes responsible drinking. No persons under the age of 18 years old will be allowed into the Tasting Hall. Designated driver tickets are available with discounted food vouchers and a bottle of Valpré mineral water included in the ticket price. Various chauffeur drive services and drive responsibly initiatives will be on hand to ensure that everyone in your party is able to have a good time and a safe journey home. Part of the ticket proceeds will continue to be donated to The Foundation for Alcohol Related Research.
# # #
The FNB Whisky Live Festival 2012
Thursday, 1st November to Friday, 2nd November 2012
Durban International Convention Centre
18h00 – 22h00 Daily
Wednesday, 7th November to Friday, 9th November 2012
Sandton Convention Centre
18h00 – 22h00 Daily
For Media Queries please contact:
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +27 83 677 9090
*** Note to editors:
Please visit www.whiskylivefestival.co.za for additional information on spokespersons and ambassadors. All Media Releases, Images and content are available for download.