The PS4 Pro will soon be making your games look better. According to those participating in the PS4 system software update 5.50 beta, supersampling has been added as an option to Sony’s iterative console.
Supersampling allows games that support enhanced textures, anti-aliasing, and resolutions above 1080p to scale to 1080p screens allowing for improved image quality, fewer jagged edges, and a sharper overall experience.
Although most PS4 Pro enhanced games allow you to choose between better graphics or a higher frame rate or run with supersampling, this ensures that those that don’t now will. An obvious addition to counter the Xbox One X, which has had it since launch.
This isn’t the first time Sony has brought core, system-level features to the PS4 Pro with an update. Last year saw Boost Mode which promised to increase the frame rate in games that weren’t optimised for the PS4 Pro which brought through mixed results. How much of an impact supersampling has will be a point of contention in the weeks to come. Till then, here’s a list of games from popular gaming forum ResetEra that support supersampling.
PS4 Pro supersampling game list
- The Last Guardian
- Dishonored 2
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Dream Drop Distance)
- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
- Metal Gear: Survive
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm
- Nex Machina: Death Machine
- No Man’s Sky
- Injustice 2
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
- Everybody’s Golf
- Call of Duty Black Ops 3